2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Insurance Rates
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: May 27, 2018
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from top car companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Want cheaper insurance coverage rates for your Mazda MX-5 Miata? Trying to find cheaper insurance for your Mazda MX-5 Miata could be a lot of work, but you can use these tips to save time. There is a better way to shop for insurance coverage and you need to know the proper way to quote coverages for a Mazda and find the lowest price from local insurance agents and online providers.
How to buy insurance coverage online
Finding low cost 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance coverage prices can be surprisingly simple. Drivers just need to spend a few minutes comparing price quotes from online providers. Comparing prices online can be done by using one of the methods below.
- One of the best ways to compare a lot of rates at once would be an industry-wide quote request form like this one (opens in new window). This form eliminates the need for repetitive form submissions to each individual insurance coverage company. One form submission will return quotes instantly. Recommended for those who want to invest the least amount of time.
- A more time consuming way to find lower rates is to manually visit the website of each company and repeat the quote process. For example, we’ll pretend you want to compare rates from State Farm, Liberty Mutual and Travelers. You would be required to visit each site and repeatedly type in your coverage information, and that explains why we recommend the first method.
For a list of links to insurance companies in your area, click here.
- The last method of getting rate comparisons is actually driving to insurance agencies in your area. Doing it all online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you have a complicated situation and need the professional guidance that only a licensed agent can provide. You can, however, price shop online but have a local agent actually write the policy.
Whichever way you use, make sure you use identical coverage data for each comparison quote. If you use different deductibles it will be very difficult to decipher which rate is best.
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Take policy discounts and save
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always list all available discounts very well, so the below list has a few of the more well known as well as the least known credits available to lower your premiums when you buy car insurance online.
- Passive Restraints – Cars that have air bags or motorized seat belts may qualify for discounts of 25 to 30%.
- Early Switch Discount – Some insurance companies provide a discount for renewing your policy before your current expiration date. This can save 10% or more.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving fewer miles could qualify for discounted premium rates on garaged vehicles.
- Own a Home – Just being a homeowner can save you money because it demonstrates responsibility.
- Active Service Discounts – Having a family member in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Payment Method – If you can afford to pay the entire bill instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save up to 5%.
- Buy New and Save – Buying a new car model may earn a small discount because newer models have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Have your child enroll and complete driver’s education if it’s offered in school.
- Senior Discount – Mature drivers could receive a discount up to 10% for MX-5 Miata insurance.
A little disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. Even though the math looks like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
A few of the larger companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts include:
- Esurance policyholders can earn discounts including Switch & Save, homeowner, anti-lock brakes, good driver, good student, and renters.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for defensive driver, good student, vehicle fuel type, bundle, and anti-theft.
- AAA has savings for education and occupation, multi-policy, good driver, AAA membership discount, anti-theft, and good student.
- GEICO has discounts for driver training, five-year accident-free, military active duty, emergency military deployment, anti-theft, and federal employee.
- State Farm offers discounts for Steer Clear safe driver discount, good driver, Drive Safe & Save, safe vehicle, defensive driving training, multiple autos, and passive restraint.
Before purchasing a policy, check with every prospective company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some credits may not apply to policyholders in every state. To see providers that have a full spectrum of discounts, click here to view.
Informed consumers know how to buy auto insurance at a discount
Multiple criteria are used in the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are pretty understandable like a motor vehicle report, but other factors are not quite as obvious like your continuous coverage or how safe your car is.
Listed below are some of the factors used by insurance companies to determine prices.
- Cheaper premiums for prior coverage – Letting your insurance expire can be a fast way to increase your rates. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage may earn you fines or a revoked license.
- Drive a safer car and pay less – Vehicles with good safety scores cost less to insure. Safe vehicles reduce occupant injuries and fewer serious injuries means your insurance company pays less which can result in lower premiums.
- Auto insurance rates and age – Beginning drivers are statistically proven to be more careless when at the wheel of a vehicle so auto insurance rates are higher. Older drivers are more cautious drivers, cost insurance companies less in claims and get fewer tickets.
- See if your company offers a multi-policy discount – Most larger auto insurance companies provide a discount to people who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. The discount can be 10 percent or more. Even if you qualify for this discount already, drivers will still want to compare rates to verify if the discount is saving money.There is a good possibility that you can save money by splitting coverages up.
- Occupation stress can affect auto insurance rates – Careers such as lawyers, architects and medical professionals generally have higher rates than the rest of us attributed to intense work requirements and lots of time spent at work. Other careers such as farmers, students and the unemployed have lower than average premiums for MX-5 Miata insurance.
- Deter theft and pay less – Owning a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can help lower your premiums. Anti-theft features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all hinder your car from being stolen.
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
These are some specific questions could help you determine whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- Should I have a commercial auto policy?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Should I rate my 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata as pleasure use or commute?
- Does car insurance cover theft of personal property?
- Am I covered if I hit a deer?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving out-of-state?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Insurance coverage companies are expert advertisers
Consumers can’t get away from ads for the lowest price insurance coverage from companies such as State Farm, Allstate and GEICO. All the ads advertise the message about savings if you switch to their company.
How does every company offer you a better deal? This is the trick they use.
Many companies can use profiling for the type of driver that will most likely be profitable. One example of a profitable risk profile might have to be a married male, has no prior claims, and drives less than 5,000 miles a year. Someone who meets those qualifications is entitled to the best price and most likely will cut their rates if they switch.
Potential customers who may not quite match those criteria may receive a higher premium which leads to business going elsewhere. If you listen closely, the ads state “people who switch” not “all people who quote” save that much money. That’s the way companies can make claims like that. This illustrates why you should do a price quote comparison at every renewal. Because you never know with any certainty which company will be your best fit.
Insurance coverage basics
Having a good grasp of a insurance policy aids in choosing the right coverages and proper limits and deductibles. Insurance terms can be impossible to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Liability coverage will cover injuries or damage you cause to people or other property in an accident. It protects YOU against other people’s claims. It does not cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. As an example, you may have limits of 100/300/100 that means you have $100,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $300,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $100,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage pays for claims like bail bonds, legal defense fees and funeral expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but you should buy higher limits if possible.
This pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like falling objects, damage from getting keyed, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, hail damage and damage from flooding. The maximum amount a insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider dropping full coverage.
This will pay to fix damage to your MX-5 Miata caused by collision with another car or object. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for things such as scraping a guard rail, crashing into a building, backing into a parked car, colliding with a tree and hitting a mailbox. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. Another option is to raise the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when the “other guys” are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered claims include hospital bills for your injuries as well as damage to your 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits, it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important.
Coverage for medical payments
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for immediate expenses such as chiropractic care, ambulance fees, rehabilitation expenses, surgery and EMT expenses. The coverages can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is not an option in every state and may carry a deductible
Spend less. Save more.
People change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including high rates after DUI convictions, policy non-renewal, questionable increases in premium or even policy cancellation. No matter why you want to switch, finding a new insurance coverage company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
Discount 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance can be sourced from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, so you need to quote car insurance with both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies may not have online rate quotes and many times these smaller companies only sell coverage through local independent agencies.
When you buy car insurance online, don’t be tempted to skimp on coverage in order to save money. Too many times, someone dropped collision coverage and learned later that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible at the best possible price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
To read more, feel free to visit the articles below:
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Booster Seat Ratings (iihs.org)
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Insitute)
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)