2012 Honda Odyssey Insurance Rates – 6 Ways to Save
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jan 6, 2018
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from top car companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Have you finally had enough of wondering where the money will come from to keep your car insured? You have the same problem as millions of other people.
Big-name insurance companies like GEICO, 21st Century and Progressive increase brand awareness with catchy ads and consumers find it hard to see through the deception and do the work needed to find the best deal.
You need to quote other rates occasionally because prices fluctuate regularly. Even if you think you had the lowest quotes for Odyssey coverage at your last renewal there may be better deals available now. Block out anything you think you know about insurance because we’re going to demonstrate one of the quickest ways to buy cheaper insurance.
If you have car insurance now, you should be able to cut costs considerably using these methods. Buying car insurance is not rocket science. But drivers need to have an understanding of the methods companies use to market insurance on the web because it can help you find the best coverage.
Are you qualifying for every discount?
Auto insurance companies don’t always list every possible discount very well, so the below list has some of the best known as well as some of the hidden credits available to bring down your rates.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle up before driving could cut 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- 55 and Retired – Seniors may be able to get a small discount on rates for Odyssey coverage.
- Auto/Life Discount – Select auto insurance companies reward you with lower auto insurancerates if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- No Claim Discounts – Insureds with no claims or accidents can save substantially compared to drivers with a long claim history.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Fewer annual miles on your Honda can qualify you for better prices on cars that stay parked.
- Federal Government Employee – Active or retired federal employment can earn a discount up to 10% for Odyssey coverage with a few auto insurance companies.
We need to note that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though the math looks like all the discounts add up to a free policy, that’s just not realistic. Any amount of discount will bring down the amount you pay for coverage.
A list of auto insurance companies and a selection of discounts are included below.
- The Hartford has savings for driver training, bundle, anti-theft, defensive driver, vehicle fuel type, and good student.
- American Family may offer discounts for early bird, air bags, TimeAway discount, Steer into Savings, multi-vehicle, good driver, and good student.
- Progressive discounts include multi-vehicle, online signing, online quote discount, good student, multi-policy, homeowner, and continuous coverage.
- Travelers policyholders can earn discounts including home ownership, IntelliDrive, new car, good student, and continuous insurance.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include switch companies, alternative fuel, business and professional, good student, and electronic funds transfer.
- USAA may include discounts for multi-vehicle, multi-policy, family discount, loyalty savings, safe driver, and defensive driver.
- Liberty Mutual includes discounts for multi-policy, hybrid vehicle, new move discount, new vehicle discount, preferred payment discount, teen driver discount, and new graduate.
If you need lower rates, check with all companies you are considering how you can save money. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not be available in every state. For a list of insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above, click here to view.
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
When in doubt talk to an agent
When it comes to buying coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Each situation is unique and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. For example, these questions can aid in determining whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Is my camper covered by my car insurance policy?
- Is a blown tire covered by insurance?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- Should I rate my 2012 Honda Odyssey as pleasure use or commute?
- How high should deductibles be on a 2012 Honda Odyssey?
Detailed coverages of your auto insurance policy
Understanding the coverages of a auto insurance policy helps when choosing the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Auto insurance terms can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Below you’ll find typical coverage types found on most auto insurance policies.
Comprehensive coverage – Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as damage from a tornado or hurricane, hitting a bird, hail damage, damage from flooding and hitting a deer. The maximum amount your auto insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Collision coverage – This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from colliding with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for things like crashing into a ditch, damaging your car on a curb, sideswiping another vehicle and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. You can also raise the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage – This coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your Honda Odyssey.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits, their limits can quickly be used up. So UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Most of the time these coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Liability auto insurance – Liability insurance will cover damage or injury you incur to a person or their property. It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. Your policy might show policy limits of 25/50/25 which means $25,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property. Another option is a combined limit that pays claims from the same limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability can pay for claims such as pain and suffering, legal defense fees, medical services, funeral expenses and bail bonds. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but consider buying as much as you can afford.
Medical payments coverage and PIP – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for immediate expenses like dental work, X-ray expenses, prosthetic devices and chiropractic care. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you do not have health coverage. They cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is not universally available and may carry a deductible
Best coverage at the best price
More affordable insurance can be purchased both online as well as from insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers don’t offer internet price quotes and usually these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.
While you’re price shopping online, it’s very important that you do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. In too many instances, someone sacrificed liability coverage limits only to regret that it was a big error on their part. Your goal is to buy enough coverage for the lowest cost.
For more information, link through to the following helpful articles:
- Top Signs Your Brakes are Giving Out (State Farm)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)