2009 Volkswagen GLI Insurance Rates – 7 Tips for Best Quotes
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Oct 5, 2015
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from top car companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Trying to find better auto insurance rates for your Volkswagen GLI? Having to pay for overpriced auto insurance can stress out your budget and make it impossible to make ends meet. Comparing price quotes is free, only takes a few minutes, and is a good way to tighten up your finances.
Many car insurance companies vie for your business, and it can be difficult to compare rates and uncover the absolute lowest rate possible.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you should be able to lower your premiums substantially using these tips. Finding affordable coverage is not that difficult. But vehicle owners must understand how insurance companies compete online.
Use discounts to get cheaper insurance quotes
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always list every policy discount very clearly, so the following is a list of some of the best known and also the lesser-known credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Multi-car Discount – Drivers who insure multiple vehicles with one company can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Senior Citizen Discount – Seniors are able to get better insurance rates on GLI insurance.
- Federal Employees – Employees or retirees of the government can save as much as 8% on GLI insurance depending on your insurance provider.
- Braking Control Discount – Vehicles that have anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies allow discounts for renewing your policy prior to your current policy expiring. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Driving Data Discount – Insureds who allow companies to track their driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate could possibly reduce rates as long as the data is positive.
You can save money using discounts, but many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So despite the fact that it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, that’s just not realistic.
The best insurance companies and the discounts they provide include:
- Mercury Insurance offers premium reductions for age of vehicle, anti-theft, low natural disaster claims, ease of repair, multi-car, and good driver.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts including pay in full, youthful driver, bundle discounts, homeowner, good student, multi-car, and switch companies.
- Farm Bureau may include discounts for multi-policy, multi-vehicle, renewal discount, 55 and retired, driver training, good student, and youthful driver.
- State Farm may have discounts that include Drive Safe & Save, student away at school, good driver, anti-theft, and safe vehicle.
- Allstate has discounts for premier discount, FullPay discount, good student, anti-lock brakes, new car, anti-theft, and multi-policy.
- GEICO may offer discounts for anti-theft, daytime running lights, seat belt use, five-year accident-free, and membership and employees.
When quoting, ask all companies you are considering which credits you are entitled to. Discounts may not apply to policyholders everywhere.
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Tailor your car insurance coverage to you
When choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a “best” method to buy coverage. Everyone’s situation is a little different so this has to be addressed. For example, these questions can help discover if you may require specific advice.
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- When should I drop full coverage on my 2009 Volkswagen GLI?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount?
- How do I insure my teen driver?
- Who is covered when they drive my 2009 Volkswagen GLI?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- If my pet gets injured in an accident are they covered?
- Should I carry comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Why do I need rental car insurance?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Auto insurance specifics
Learning about specific coverages of your auto insurance policy can be of help when determining which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. Auto insurance terms can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Below you’ll find typical coverages found on most auto insurance policies.
This will cover damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property in an accident. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see policy limits of 50/100/50 which stand for $50,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, $100,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $50,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability insurance covers claims like emergency aid, bail bonds, repair costs for stationary objects, funeral expenses and structural damage. How much liability should you purchase? That is up to you, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase higher limits if possible.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance reimburse you for expenses such as rehabilitation expenses, funeral costs, doctor visits and prosthetic devices. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. They cover all vehicle occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Collision coverage protection
Collision insurance covers damage to your GLI resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision can pay for claims such as colliding with a tree, damaging your car on a curb and scraping a guard rail. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. You can also bump up the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
This pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims such as damage from flooding, damage from getting keyed and a broken windshield. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
This coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your Volkswagen GLI.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits, it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea.
Quote more. Save more.
More affordable insurance coverage can be bought both online and from local insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies may not offer internet price quotes and usually these small, regional companies sell through independent insurance agencies.
We just showed you many ways to save on 2009 Volkswagen GLI insurance. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get car insurance rates for, the better chance you’ll have of finding inexpensive insurance. Consumers may even find the lowest priced insurance coverage comes from a smaller regional carrier. These smaller insurers may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates than their larger competitors like GEICO and State Farm.
More tips and info about insurance coverage is available in these articles:
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)