Searching for lower insurance coverage rates for your Mitsubishi Eclipse? Are you overwhelmed by the dozens of insurance coverage sources in your area? You’re not alone. You have such a large number of options that it can easily become a ton of work to find lower insurance coverage rates.
Take policy discounts and save
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but you might already qualify for some discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you quote, but a few must be asked for before you will receive the discount.
- Good Driver Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents can pay as much as 50% less on Eclipse coverage as compared to drivers with claims.
- Driver’s Ed – Cut your cost by having your teen driver sucessfully take a drivers education course in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Switch and Save Discount – A few auto insurance companies give discounts for switching policies before your current coverage expires. You can save around 10% with this discount.
- Good Student Discount – Maintaining excellent grades may save you up to 25%. The good student discount can last until age 25.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking a course that instructs on driving safety could cut 5% off your bill if your company offers it.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Buying a policy with multiple cars or trucks on a single policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Active Military Service – Having a family member in the military could qualify you for better prices.
- Life Insurance – Some auto insurance companies give a discounted price on car insurance if you buy a life policy as well.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle up can save 10% or more on medical payment and PIP coverage.
Remember that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Despite the fact that it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you aren’t that lucky.
A list of companies and the discounts they provide can be read below.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for online quote discount, homeowner, good student, multi-vehicle, online signing, and multi-policy.
- SAFECO has discounts for bundle discounts, teen safe driver, anti-theft, accident prevention training, homeowner, and safe driver.
- American Family has savings for bundled insurance, air bags, accident-free, Steer into Savings, mySafetyValet, and good student.
- MetLife may include discounts for accident-free, claim-free, multi-policy, defensive driver, good student, and good driver.
- GEICO includes discounts for seat belt use, membership and employees, multi-policy, defensive driver, and federal employee.
- The Hartford discounts include defensive driver, air bag, anti-theft, good student, and driver training.
If you are trying to find cheap car insurance quotes, ask each insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply to policies in your state.
Lower the price of insurance with these tips
Multiple criteria are part of the equation when quoting car insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving history, but other criteria are less apparent such as your credit history and annual miles driven.
- Buy as much liability coverage as you can afford – Your insurance policy’s liability coverage kicks in if ever you are responsible for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Your policy’s liability insurance provides legal defense coverage to attempt to prove you were not liable. Liability is cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
- Raise your deductibles for better premiums – The deductibles you choose are how much the insured will be required to pay in the event of a claim. Insurance for physical damage, also called ‘full coverage’, protects your car from damage. Some coverage claims would be rearending another vehicle, collision with a deer, and damage caused by road hazards. The higher the amount you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be on Eclipse coverage.
- City dwellers may pay more – Having an address in small towns and rural areas has definite advantages when talking about insurance. Less people means fewer accidents in addition to fewer liability claims. People who live in big cities have to deal with more road rage incidents and longer commutes to work. Higher commute times means higher likelihood of an accident.
- Do you really need the incidental coverages? – Insurance companies have many add-on coverages that you can buy but may not be useful. Coverages like coverage for rental cars, death and dismemberment, and membership fees are probably not needed. They may seem good when buying your policy, but if you’ve never needed them in the past consider taking them off your policy.
- Traffic violations cost more than a fine – Even one speeding ticket or other violation could increase your next policy renewal by twenty percent. Good drivers get better prices than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers who have gotten dangerous violations such as hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may face state-mandated requirements to file a SR-22 with their state’s department of motor vehicles in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Older drivers save more – Youthful drivers are statistically proven to get distracted easily with other occupants in the car therefore insurance rates are much higher. Parents adding a teen driver to your insurance policy will cause a huge premium hike. Mature drivers are more responsible, cause fewer claims and accidents and get fewer tickets.
- Insurance prices and driver gender – The statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. However, don’t assume that men are WORSE drivers than women. Both genders cause at-fault accidents at about the same rate, but males cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. They also get more serious tickets like reckless driving and DUI. Male drivers age 16 to 19 have the highest risk to insure and therefore have the most expensive insurance rates.
- Cars with good safety ratings save money – Cars with five star safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. The safest vehicles reduce injuries and fewer serious injuries means less claims paid and lower rates for you.
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When buying proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there is no best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is unique.
These are some specific questions might help in determining if your situation may require specific advice.
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- How can I force my company to pay a claim?
- When can I cancel my policy?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form.
Car insurance coverages for a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse
Having a good grasp of your policy can help you determine which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. Policy terminology can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Medical expense coverage
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage reimburse you for short-term medical expenses for things like dental work, X-ray expenses, ambulance fees and rehabilitation expenses. The coverages can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance plan or if you do not have health coverage. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Auto collision coverage
Collision insurance covers damage to your Eclipse resulting from a collision with another car or object. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage protects against things like sideswiping another vehicle, colliding with another moving vehicle and damaging your car on a curb. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so you might think about dropping it from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You need to pay your deductible first and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as vandalism, hitting a deer and falling objects. The maximum payout your car insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
This can cover damage or injury you incur to people or other property. This insurance protects YOU against other people’s claims, and does not provide coverage for your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show liability limits of 25/50/25 that translate to a limit of $25,000 per injured person, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage pays for claims such as court costs, repair costs for stationary objects and pain and suffering. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a decision to put some thought into, but buy higher limits if possible.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage
This protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is very important.
Have money to burn
When you buy car insurance online, it’s a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are many occasions where drivers have reduced liability coverage limits and discovered at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your objective should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
Consumers leave their current company for a variety of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, denial of a claim, delays in responding to claim requests or even delays in paying claims. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding a new company is less work than it seems.
Lower-priced insurance coverage can be purchased both online as well as from independent agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance providers may not have internet price quotes and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent insurance agents.